[ModLib] Question about a copy of The Apocrypha

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Aug 29 21:59:21 EDT 2013

The Apocrypha was originally published by the University of Chicago Press in 1959 and was reprinted in the ML in 1962.  The ML edition was printed by offset lithography, which made it possible to reduce the size of the type page from University of Chicago Press printings. I believe all ML printings include the "First Printing" statement on the verso of the title page -- it was typical of printings by offset lithography at this period to retain "First" statements on subsequent printings.  Apparently whiting out the statement on the photographic negative was more challenging that simply cutting it out of letterpress plates.  The list of titles at the end of volumes printed by offset lithography typically weren't updated at this period, but it should be possible to distinguish first printings by the heading inside the jacket, which I believe state 408 outstanding titles.