[ModLib] Question about a copy of The Apocrypha

Jerry Karp jerry at rocketwords.com
Thu Aug 29 20:10:59 EDT 2013

Greetings, all!

Into my used bookstore today came a copy of The Apocrypha, ML 326.

It is definitely a Binding Style 11, according to the images on the
website. In use 1963-1967.

However, according to the dating key, the book is a Spring 1962 edition
(titles list at the end contains Hersey's "Hiroshima" and does not contain
Erasmus' "In Praise of Folly.")

The notes pop-up says ML Apocrypha was in print from 1962-1970, and the
First copyright page text is "First Printing." My copy does not include
this text.

So it seems like I have a Spring 1962 edition book in a binding style not
thought to have been used until 1963. Also, if the book was first published
in 1962, is it odd that a Spring 1962 edition would not be a first edition?
Or might there have been more than one run in Spring '62 with the "First
Printing" text removed from the later runs? To be clear, I don't think this
is a first edition. I'm just trying to reconcile the different dates, etc.

Or am I simply missing something basic?

Thanks!
Jerry Karp
Mendocino County, CA