[ModLib] Bellamy's Looking Backward, 22.4

Ron Holl ron at scribblemonger.com
Tue Aug 27 21:54:55 EDT 2013

There were two different threads going on at the same time.  One was
Bellamy's Looking Backward, 22.4 which has the Broun and, later, Shurter
intros.  The issue there was ML placed Broun as the intro author on the
front flap when the jacket changed to type i (along with font changes on
the flap text) which was several years after the intro author change to
Shurter.

The other was Butler's Way of All Flesh, 13.2.  This title has the
Streatfeild note and, from 1950 onward, the Zabel intro.  The issue there
was verifying 1950 as the date the Zabel intro was added.

It is very interesting, though, that your Fall 1943 copy has 410 pages.
That date is for the jacket, though, and not the book.  However with a
1940 date given you would think all #8 binding copies have the new format;
perhaps that date is wrong.  We could use some more reports from the field
on this.  The 1940 date originally came from Henry.

ron

> Ok, I have a copy with 292 titles listed inside a type g dust jacket which
> should make it 43-44 right? However the note on the site says the first
> edition was 1917 and the second 1950. The jacket has no mention of Broun,
> it has the intro by Streatfeild and a rather cynical note by G. B. Shaw
> but no intro by Zabel. The note mentions an edition in 1940 with an
> increase in pages from 410 to 562 but my copy has 410 pages. I'm confused.
>
>> It sounds like the resetting of the flap text was probably coordinated
>> with the change to type i format.  Regardless, I have a Fall 1955 with
>> the
>> incorrect intro author on the flap, as does Chris (same season/year),
>> and
>> I have seen others as well.  You've seen a spring 1954 which was
>> probably
>> a type i style jacket.
>>
>> So the question is, was it ever corrected.  I've never seen a printing
>> of
>> this title from the 1960s.  Perhaps a single printing of the jacket top
>> side was sufficient for the remainder of its print life.
>>

>> ron
>>
>>> I have a fall 1951 jacket ("358 OUTSTANDING TITLES") that does not
>>> mention
>>> the author of the introduction on the front panel or front flap. The
>>> front
>>> flap text is in serifed type.
>>>
>>> I have seen (but don't have) a spring 1954 printing with the flap text
>>> reset in sans-serif type with the outdated information ⤽Introduction
>>> by
>>>
>>> The ML began setting jacket flaps in sans serif type for new titles in
>>> fall 1953 and reset the flap text of older jackets as they were
>>> reprinted.
>>> When the Looking Backward flap text was reset in sans serif type, the
>>> person responsible for coordinating it must have got hold of an early
>>> jacket that stated "INTRODUCTION BY HEYWOOD BROUN" on the front panel
>>> and,
>>> noting that this information was no longer indicated on the front of
>>> the
>>> jacket, decided to add it to the flap. The person should have known
>>> better
>>> if he or she had a copy of the book, but it's possible the decision was
>>> based on copies of the jacket only.
>>>
>>> Barry

>>> author.  Previously, all type h jackets did not mention the intro