[ModLib] Variant Boni & Liveright bindings

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Aug 1 20:34:59 EDT 2013

I've seen the following B&L titles in variant bindings (dark red imitation leather or blue cloth):

Norris, McTeague (dark red imitation leather)
Woman Question (dark red imitation leather)
Yeats, ed., Irish fairy and folk tales (non-flexible binding in blue cloth)
Diana of the Crossways (non-flexible binding in blue cloth)
Gilbert, Mikado (non-flexible binding in blue cloth)

I have copies of a couple of these; the others were in the collection of the pioneering ML collector John Ely which is now at the Beinecke Library at Yale.

I've always assumed (without documentary evidence) that the ML was testing a new binding or the B&L binder ran short of the regular binding material.

Does anyone have other examples?

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University