[ModLib] dust jackets ??

Brian LeMasters brianlemasters at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 14:21:23 EDT 2012

Bryan,
Glad to see the biblio bug has bitten yet another.
I store some jackets as you mentioned, but they are stored flat in
archival jacket protectors so they are ready to go into use if needed.
DJs mean everything for modern firsts, but not necessarily the Modern
Library.  MLs were made to be consumed by the masses, so a 'perfect'
collection, in-DJ, seems to be at odds with the intent of the series.
However, you may want to consider a quest for a few nice early specimens
in-jacket as a cornerstone of your collection. Be aware that jacketed
volumes shelved alongside jacket-less volumes may drive you insane.

The bulk of my collection is Buckram bindings which were distributed
jacket-less, as their skin is so thick it needs no flimsy jacket to
protect it (or make it pretty).  The 90's take up the next largest
section of real estate.  John's post said it all - they are much easier
to find in the used bookstores.  There is a load of new material on the
website about the 90's titles, also.   Lastly, I like the balloon cloth,
esp. when cheap.  That seems to be a by-product of the biblio bug venom
- cheapness.  The balloon cloth volumes are usually separated at the
hinges by the time I find them, so I do not have as many as I would like.

Good hunting,
Brian