[ModLib] dust jackets ??

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sat Sep 29 23:34:02 EDT 2012

Most collectors seem to collect with dust jacekts. But I have heard from many collectors over the years who collect by binding style. Thus the ModernLib website is rich in resources for both kinds of collectors.

I heard recently (yesterday I think)  from a woman who collects only books from 1950 -- and thus is a specialized binding 8 collector. Of course, she needs to pay special attention to the back-of-book catalogs to make sure of her dates; I don't know how she manages for books without catalogs or DJs!

Check the ModernLib index to find the resources you need to help you collect:

http://www.modernlib.com/siteIndex.html

On Sep 29, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Bryan Tinkle wrote:

> A question from a novice;  do most ML collectors only collect volumes with Dust Jackets?  I ask because I actually started picking up the books because 1. I liked the individual book/subject matter and 2. I liked having spines that all matched.  (I prefer the Toledano #8 bindings) and I actually removed the dj's (kept neatly in a acid free box) when I file the books on my shelves.
>
> The other question I have is how many of you only collect one binding style?  And does anyone also collect the ML volumnes which were published in the 1990's?
>
> OK  that was too many questions for one email.. just wondering.  I didn't start my collection for any other reason than I liked the books so I'm not trying to prepare a collection for sale, just curious how other collectors approach the process.
>
> Bryan Tinkle
> Chattanooga, TN

This too will pass.