[ModLib] Question regarding illustrated Wisdom of Confucius

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Oct 28 20:34:11 EDT 2012

Thanks for your information.  If it says Random House is the publisher of the Illustrated Modern Library it's a postwar copy.  Paper rationing during World War II had a major impa ct on what most publishers, including Random House, could publish.  All publishers were treated alike when paper rationing was imposed.  Barnes was a textbook publisher specializing in the college market, and since most college age men -- and many women -- were in the services, sales of college textbooks declined significantly during the war, leaving Barnes, despite paper rationing,  in the position of having more paper than it could use.  Random House could never have  produced the Illustrated Modern Library using its own paper allocation.  It was only after the end of paper rationing following the war that Random House assumed formal responsibity  for publishing the Illustrated Modern Library.  (During the war Random House pretty much ran the show, instructing Barnes what to do.)

The only explanations I can think of for a postwar copy being in a slipcase are that (1) a postwar printing may have been placed in a slipcase by a bookseller or early owner, or (2) Random House ran out of acetate jackets but had some Confucius slipcases in the warehouse and   distributed a portion of the postwar printing in slipcases. Since we have two examples of a postwar printing in slipcases, I suspect the second hypothesis may be more likely.