[ModLib] Question regarding illustrated Wisdom of Confucius

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sat Oct 27 21:57:06 EDT 2012

I have four distinct printings of the Illustrated Confucius:

(1) first printing in slipcase with illustrated label pasted to front, "Modern Library" on t.p.,  verso copyright 1943, "Published by A. S. Barnes & Co. Inc., and distributed by Random House, Inc."
(2) second printing in slipcase with illustrated label pasted to front , "Illustrated Modern Library" on t.p.; verso copyright 1943, " A. S. Barnes & Co. Inc., are the publishers of the ILLUSTRATED MODERN LIBRARY"
(3) subsequent printing; acetate jacket with silkscreened panel with title, etc., information; "Illustrated Modern Library" on t.p.,  verso copyright 1938, 1943,
"A. S. Barnes & Co. Inc., are the publishers of the ILLUSTRATED MODERN LIBRARY"
(4) final printing; acetate jacket with front panel label printed on paper and pasted to jacket; " Illustrated Modern Library" on t.p., verso copyright 1938, 1943, "Random House is the publisher of the ILLUSTRATED MODERN LIBRARY"

Lin Yutang's Wisdom of Confucius was published in the regular ML in 1938. The first two printings in the Illustrated ML did not include the 1938 copyright, which applied to Lin Yutang's translation, and included only the 1943 copyright date, which applied to Jeanyee Wong's illustrations. The error was  corrected after the first two printings.

I believe that the Illustrated ML Confucius was Jeanyee Wong's first illustrated book.  She has illustrated and lettered many books since.
You can watch a video of her 90th birthday celebration, held last year at the Grolier Club in New York, at http://vimeo.com/24013347

Barry Neavill