[ModLib] Gabriele D'Annunzio

John Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Mon Oct 8 13:05:21 EDT 2012

On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Murry <candm at wavecable.com> wrote:

> Others I thought were difficult were Diana of the Crossways and Marius the Epicurean. Others were surprisingly good such as Bed of Roses and Seven that were Hanged.  It's interesting to see how literary tastes change over the years, and I suspect that ML was trying to offer a combination of classics and avant-gard.

At least at the start, the "Modern" Library was trying to be "modern" (and avant-garde) with
its initial offerings (Wilde, Strindberg, Kipling, Stevenson, Wells, Ibsen, France, Maupassant,
Nietzsche, Dostoyevski, Maeterlinck, Shopenhauer) rather than focusing on classics. That
would come later.

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r