[ModLib] Gabriele D'Annunzio

Murry candm at wavecable.com
Sun Oct 7 15:01:20 EDT 2012

On 10/4/2012 10:15 AM, John Krygier wrote:
> Four titles in the Modern Library, so we should know something about him:
>
> http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/maybe-nine-ways-of-looking-at-dannunzio/
>
> The web article includes an image of a ML D'Annunzio title, probably "borrowed" from
> Scot's site.
>

> John K.

John,

In my quest to read thru the modern library (after four years I am at
100.1), I have read two books by D'Annunzio, and I have to say that
these were two of the most frustrating difficult books I have ever read,
especially The Flame of Life. I started it many times, never getting
thru more than a few pages wondering, what the heck is this about
anyway? I find it amazing that these books were popular at one time.

Others I thought were difficult were Diana of the Crossways and Marius
the Epicurean. Others were surprisingly good such as Bed of Roses and
Seven that were Hanged.  It's interesting to see how literary tastes
change over the years, and I suspect that ML was trying to offer a
combination of classics and avant-gard.

Luckily, my library will get me any book from another library that they
do not have, and I have yet to request a ML title that they cannot find
somewhere.

Anyone else reading these old books?

Murry