[ModLib] G18 Revisited

Bill Hornick willthemad at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 12:11:55 EDT 2012

Folks,

This merits discussion. PLEASE comment!!!!

-- Scot Kamins

Dear Scot,

About a year or so ago the ML website hosted a discussion on whether
or not G18 warranted two Toledano numbers, one for the original
edition with broken pagination and one for the later edition with
continuous pagination.  The result was that no new identifcation
number was added.  At that time I had only the latter continuous-
pagination edition (and also lacked the Regular 18.2 Best Russian
Short Stories title).  I have since acquired a first edition of G18.1
(G3 binding, 236 titles on dj verso) and a copy of 18.2 Best Russian
Short Stories.

After comparing 18.2 and 18.3 and G18.1 (hereinafter called G18A) and
the later edition (hereinafter called G18B), I will argue that
precedent and consistency warrant two different numbers for G18 based
on the following points:

1. 18.2 and 18.3 both have the same content on the title page with
slightly different graphics.
     G18A and G18B both have the same title page but Cerf and Klopper
are removed from the line above The Modern Library.
     In addition, G18A has a list of Giant tiles (G1-G17) on the verso
of the title page while G18B contains the RH logo and wording
     and The Everyman's Library credit.

2. 18.2 and 18.3 have the same Seltzer introduction; in 18.2 it covers
pp. vii to xix and in 18.3 it covers pp. vii to xvi.
     G18A and G18B have the same Mencken introduction; in G18A in
covers pp. v to xii before the Table of Contents and in G18B
     it covers pp. vii to xiv after the Table of Contents.

3. 18.2 and 18.3 both have the same 22 short stories, but the
arrangement order differs.
     G18A and G18B both have the same 11 plays, but the arrangement
order differs.

4. 18.2 has broken pagination from the original plates: 1 to 261 and 1
to 231; 18.3 has reset plates with continuous pagination
     from 3 to 556.
     G18A has broken pagination from the original plates: 3 to 305, 8
to 330 and 3 to 482; G18B has continuous pagination from
     3 to 1185.

5. 18.2 has list of Regular and Giant titles in the textblock at the
end on unnumbered pages; 18.3 has no textblock list of titles.
     G18A has a list of Giant titles on the verso of the title page;
G18B has no textblock list of titles.

Conclusion: If 18.2 and 18.3 warrant different Toledano numbers and if
G18A and G18B parallel those differences and actually have more
differences than do 18.2 and 18.3, then based on precedent and
consistency G18A and G18B also warrant different Toledano numbers.
If not, it is logical to delist 18.3 for its differences from 18.2.

If you wish to post this email to the ML website, please feel free to
do so.  I welcome your and others' comments.  Let us all appreciate
the coincidence, and possible confusion, that both the Regular and the
Giant compared titles are number 18.

With all best regards,
Bill Hornick