[ModLib] 7.5" Porter Buckram

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 4 21:34:42 EST 2012

Bindings are made to fit books; books aren't made to fit bindings.  The text block of Modern Library books was 7" tall from 1939 through 1968; the bound books were about 7-1/4" tall .  When the height of the text block was increased to 7-1/4" in 1969, the bindings increased to 7-1/2" .  The text block of Vintage Books and the stiff paper covers were both  7-1/4" tall .  I assume that the covers of paperbacks were glued to the text block before trimming, and then the entire book was trimmed to its final size.  The text block of h ardbound books is trimmed first, then the cloth binding is added.  Vintage Books and bound ML volumes were the same height, but that is coincidental -- Vintage Books were originally published by Alfred Knopf, and it was only after Knopf merged with Random House that Vintage Books became the quality paperback line of the combined firm.