[ModLib] Second Shot at Dust Jacket Date Range Project?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Thu Jun 28 16:15:05 EDT 2012

Folks,

As I mentioned a few e-mails ago, the only really significant project
that we had to abandon was the Dust Jacket Date Range (DJDR) project.
The essence of that project was to determine the years that a specific
dust jacket was in use. The outcome of that project, had it been
successful, would have allowed for new collecting areas.

For example, there are six separate DJs for Bronte's Wuthering
Heights. [http://www.modernlib.com/authors/bAuthors/
bronteEJackets.html] While getting the 1926 first edition might be
very difficult, getting the earliest use of each of the other five
might be easier but still present a bigger challenge than merely
collecting the six variations regardless of date.

I'm not sure why this project failed. Certainly lack of participation
was a major factor: The usual core group of five or six regular
contributors kicked in all they could, but we really needed more of
the other 100+ subscribers to participate. This type of project
requires really massive participation to work!

Also, we needed more resources for dating problem dust jackets. At the
time we had some dating keys [http://www.modernlib.com/General/DatingKey.html
, http://www.modernlib.com/General/B-LCatalogs.html], but there were
holes not covered by them. Some of that has been overcome, now that we
have the DJ Backs dating research. [http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/djBacksReg/backsReg.html
]

Can others see the benefits to this project? What do you see as
positive about it? How about the drawbacks -- what needs to be
overcome to make it work?

Thanks for playing.

"Come, my songs, let us speak of perfection. We shall get ourselves
rather disliked." -- Ezra Pound