[ModLib] Thanks!

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Tue Jun 26 16:01:36 EDT 2012

Dear Barry:

The Gertzman bibliography is the one I have. This must have been the entry of which I was thinking.

I own three _Lady Chatterley's_--first from the mid 1950's from before the book could be legally bought in America--printed in Sweden, then a hardcover Heinemann one printed on badly yellowing, friable newsprint in The Hague ("This edition not to be introduced into the British Empire or the U. S."), plus a pirated, poorly typographed edition with a fake Lawrence signature (picked up at a church sale).

Somehow I had the idea that the ML text was more generally superior; perhaps not so if it's just that one correction. I'll look at Gertzman this afternoon. Gertzman's book was apparently photographed from a typescript done on an electric typewriter, but it has good information.

I had a curious reaction when I reread _Lady C_ a couple of years ago. The book seemed more primitive than I remembered. I mean that half in the good, Lawrentian sense of earthy and fresh, unmediated by (the horrible curse of?) consciousness, but I also mean it pejoratively in the sense of crudely preachy. Mellors is embarrassing--a wish fulfillment figure, like women in late Hemingway.

Cambridge issued all of Lawrence in authoritative editions. I've never looked at _LCL_. At Natalie Bauman's bookshop on Madison Avenue I saw a 1929 Orioli. If I really wanted it, I could buy it, but as the above suggests, I don't and many thanks. Nice to hear from you.

Roger

The ML's Chatterley is that of the th e ?1959 Grove Press edition, the first unexpuraged edition openly published in the U.S. Grove Press made new plates for the ML, probably because the plates for the 1959 edition ?were too large for the ML's format, and told the ML that a misprint in the Grove edition had been corrected when the text was reset. In the first sentence of the ninth paragraph of chapter 1, ?unusual? was?corrected to? ?unused? (ML, p.? 4). The corrected sentence reads, ?Constance, his wife, was a ruddy, country-looking girl with soft brown hair and sturdy body, and slow movements, full of unused energy.? Gertzman's bibliography of Lady Chatterley's Lover states that the? ML edition ?is the only edition to date with this corrected reading? ( p. 152).