[ModLib] _Sons and Lovers_ early editions

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Tue Jun 26 10:27:25 EDT 2012

For what it is worth, I have a 1922 copy of _Sons and Lovers_ printed from plates made for the 1913 (American) edition published by Mitchell Kennerley. It runs 517 pages. It looks like this was the source of the ML plates.

Kennerley was an interesting publisher--more open to experimental books than others, not known as a terrifically commercial outfit. Scott Fitzgerald made a joke about this to Maxwell Perkins, threatening to go to Kennerley if _Gatsby_ didn't sell some astronomical number of copies. _Sons and Lovers_ was one of Kennerley's great successes (see Matthew J. Bruccoli's book on Kennerley). Later Lawrence went to Thomas Seltzer (_The Rainbow, Women in Love_) before landing at Knopf.

According to a bibliography I have of _Lady Chatterley's Lover,_ the ML of this novel (I am writing here from memory, would have to check if anyone wants more precise information) has the best generally available edition of Lawrence's much-pirated and trucked-with text.

Cheers.

Roger L.

I have a Boni and Liveright edition- it has the Macy intro and also runs 517 pages.
Pete