[ModLib] ML Book Club Editions pre-1975

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Fri Jun 22 14:52:51 EDT 2012

I can't think of any ML books that were book club selections in their ML editions.  My guess is that some booksellers, seeing a printing of a well-known title in a hardbound format smaller that the original publisher's edition, assume it must be a book club edition.

I think -- but am not certain -- that the W indicates that the ML had world rights to any copyrighted content .  Moby-Dick has been in the public domain for a long time, but the Howard introduction was copyrighted, and the ML held world rights to the introduction.  This would not be the case for a new Random House book published in 1950.  Assuming that RH initially acquired all rights to the work, it typically sold rights to the traditional British market area to a British publisher, translation rights to publishers in France, Germany, Italy, etc., movie rights, and any other rights it could think of.  American publishers usually retained Canadian rights when selling a work to a British publisher, and British publishers usually did the same when selling American rights.  It could be very confusing.  There are examples of ML books that were sold in Canada for years before it was discovered that RH did not have Canadian rights.  Eventually the book trade adopted codes indicating the area or areas to which they had rights, and included thse in their catalogs, listings in Books in Print, etc.