[ModLib] ML Book Club Editions pre-1975

Bill Hornick willthemad at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 10:40:14 EDT 2012

Dear ML Collectors,

Yesterday while browsing for some elusive titles for my collection, I came across more than a dozen dealer listings for "book club editions" of ML titles.  Most of the listings were associated with the Book of the Month Club.  I assume that these editions were the titles listed in the BOMC promotion as depicted in the brochure pictured on the ML website.

Several of the dealers identified these editions as having a "W" centered below the date on the copyright page.  Indeed, my copy of 119.2, Moby Dick, has this W.  I suspect that if these editions exist they will be mostly Regulars in binding #8.

The key questions are:
- Does this W actually indicate a book club edition?
- Is there any other indicator of a book club edition, especially on the copyright page?
- Do any of you have ML titles with the W or other indicator of a book club edition?
- Do any of you have any information concerning pre-1975 book club editions?
- Do any of you have a list of ML titles existing in such editions?
- Are they the titles listed on the BOMC brochure or do they post-date the brochure?

Any and all information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  My previous request of many months ago received no response.  This might be an overlooked area of ML collecting.

If you can attach a photo to your email response, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanking all of you in advance,
Bill Hornick