[ModLib] Peter Ibbetson 207.1; H. Wolff

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 17 00:11:20 EDT 2012

I have 3 copies of Peter Ibbetson. The 1932 first printing is on hard-surfaced  paper with a text block that's about 1-1/16" thick. I have a fall 1941 printing (Blumenthal binding) on thicker paper with a text block that's about 1-1/4" thick. And a spring 1946 printing on much thicker paper with a text block that's about 1-1/2" inches thick.  All of these have gatherings (folded printed sheets) of 8 leaves (16 pp.) each, at a time when most ML books had gatherings of 16 leaves (32 pp.).  T his was probably to make it easier to cope with
the thick paper.  I've seen (but don't have) a spring 1948 printing which has  4 more leaves (8 pp.) than earlier printings -- 2 of the pages are devoted to a list of Giants, and the last 6 pages are blank.  Since this copy is bound in gatherings of 16 leaves (32 pages), my guess is that it's on thinner paper than the other printings -- and is probably, despite the additional pages, the thinnest of the four.