[ModLib] A couple of questions about Mademoiselle de Maupin

Jerry Karp jerry at rocketwords.com
Sun Jul 22 19:01:57 EDT 2012

Greetings all!

I own a used bookstore in Ukiah, Mendocino County, northern
California. At home I have a modest Modern Library collection but I
have not had the opportunity to become as knowledgeable about them as
so many folks on this listserve. At any rate, someone recently
presented me with a couple of large boxes of old books for my store
which to my delight included about two dozen old ML volumes (no dust
jackets, alas). These got diverted from the store to my private
collection. I've finally started to go through them a few at a time.
One of the nicest is a copy of Mademoiselle de Maupin in a Style 4
binding. While adding the book to my LibraryThing library, I became
curious about the translation. The modernlib.com website includes the
information that ML used "the 1887 Vizetelly translation." Looking up
Vizetelly to find out his first name, I found on Wikipedia that this
could possibly be the father, Henry Vizetelly, who was known (and
prosecuted!) for his translations of Zola, or his son, Ernest Alfred
Vizetelly, who retranslated some of his father's work. The 1887 date
makes either plausible.

On the one hand, Wikipedia says the son "reworked some of his father's
Zola translations and published these bowdlerized versions in the
1890s," and the early ML versions of MdM are indeed bowdlerized.

On the other hand, "the 1890s" are, obviously, later than 1887.

Anybody know which it is?

Also, am I correct in assuming that it's impossible to nail down the
exact edition of this book, since I have no dust jacket and this
edition has no titles list at the end?

Many thanks!
Jerry

--