[ModLib] Redux: 1975 catalog, Dating DJs, and something else

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Sun Jul 22 15:59:02 EDT 2012

On Jul 21, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Murry wrote:

> I always thought ML stopped publishing the numbered series in 1970,
> yet some covers are dated up to 1975. Was the series still being
> published in this year?

Yes. Here's links to a 1974-1975 advertising poster (front & back)
showing the current catalog.

http://www.modernlib.com/General/brochures/1974PosterRegSide.jpg
http://www.modernlib.com/General/brochures/1974PosterGiantSide.jpg

> Can a book be dated by the back cover? For instance, backs "l" and
> "m" are only dated for 1966 in The Guide. If the inverse covers are
> blank and the price is clipped, can they be dated this way?

You can come close and use educated guesses using the DJ backs.

    http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/genreDjBacks/
genreDjBacks.html (bottom of page info) + giant backs
    http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/djBacksReg/backsReg.html
(especially l (and the variation pages), m,n

>  Some books are also other numbers than are shown. eg. South Wind,
> or Zuleika Dobson. Were there different DJs for the different
> numbers, or should they be looked at as though they were one number?
> (Did that make any sense?)

You mean the same title appearing under different ML numbers but
having the same DJ? Such as -- as you point out -- South Wind, where
the 5th DJ, used from 1937 on, covered that title as numbers 005 and
304?

http://www.modernlib.com/authors/dAuthors/douglasJackets.html

I guess I don't understand the question. :-)

Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past. -- Lily Tomlin