[ModLib] Bret Harte—FYI

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:45:31 EDT 2012

Bret Harte is one of the losingest enterprises in modern publishing. In the 1990's the Oxford University Press decided that Harte was ripe for revival so put out a toothsome _Selected Short Stories and Poems_ in its Oxford World Classics series, $5.95. Mass mailings to Americanists, yours truly included.

Five years later you could buy that book on Amazon for 19¢. OUP took a bath. I think I was the only professor who ordered the text for a class (Mark Twain and American Humor). Students rather like the stories--especially the early sentimental "The Luck of the Roaring Camp" and (even better) "The Outcasts of Poker Flat," "Miggles," and the one about the woman living with the outlaw ("Tennessee's Partner"?), but as far as a separate book goes, Harte is dead in the dust.

Out of curiosity I'd like to hear of the other single appearance ML titles so will read this list serve to see.

Cheers.

Roger