[ModLib] ML, Inc. printing of Strindber's Miss Julie and Other Plays?

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Jul 15 10:47:27 EDT 2012

Strindberg's Miss Julie and Other Plays (ML 52) was listed in ML, Inc. catalogs through spring 1928, but I have never seen a ML, Inc. printing of this title.  I've seen copies of the final Boni and Liveright printing in a ML, Inc. jacket and binding , and I've seen these with "THE MODERN LIBRARY, Inc" rubber stamped on the B&L title page . When Cerf and Klopfer bought the ML from Liveright in 1925 they apparently acquired a number of of copies of Miss Julie and Other Plays in sheets which they sold in their own binding and jacket -- but I've never seen a copy with a printed Modern Library, Inc. title page. My assumption is that they discontinued this title when the stock inherited from B&L ran out.  "Miss Julie" was added to ML, Inc. printings of Strindberg's Married in  1929.

Has anyone seen Miss Julie and Other Plays with a ML, Inc. title page?

Thanks,

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor