[ModLib] Who wrote the intro for 1st of Looking Backwards?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Jul 6 19:08:14 EDT 2012

Thanks Barry!

So we have a new collecting variety and a new Toledano number.

022.3	1942 - 1951	introduction by Heywood Broun
022.4 	1951 - 1970	introduction by Robert  L. Shurter

I'll change the BookNotes for that title accordingly.

So Chad has a copy with Broun's name on the DJ front panel. They
likely removed it in 1951. Wonder why they didn't add Shurter's name?

On Jul 6, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Gordon Barrick Neavill wrote:

> The 1942 version of Looking Backward has an introduction by Heywood
> Broun, but it wasn't unique to the ML edition. The history of the
> introduction is somewhat convolted. Looking Backward was originally
> published in Boston by Ticknor & Co, in 1888. A new edition with
> revisions in the text and Bellamy's Postscript added was published
> by Houghton Mifflin in 1889. At some point -- I'm not sure when --
> the Broun introduction was added to this Houghton Mifflin edition.
> In 1941 Houghton Mifflin reset Looking Backward and brought out a
> new edition from which the Broun introduction was omitted. The 1942
> ML edition was printed from the 1941 Houghton Mifflin plates -- with
> the Broun introduction restored. ML printings included the
> introduction from 1942 until fall 1951. The Beebe introduction was
> replaced by the newly commissioned Shurter introduction, which was
> more up-to-date and better suited to the academic market. The
> Shurter introduction appeared first in the ML College Edition a!
> nd added to the regular ML edition the next time it was reprinted.

Call Sign K7KQK
OMISS #7943