[ModLib] Who wrote the intro for 1st of Looking Backwards?

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 6 18:39:24 EDT 2012

The 1942 version of Looking Backward has an introduction by Heywood Broun, but it wasn't unique to the ML edition. The history of the introduction is somewhat convolted. Looking Backward was originally published in Boston by Ticknor & Co, in 1888. A new edition with revisions in the text and Bellamy's Postscript added was published by Houghton Mifflin in 1889. At some point -- I'm not sure when -- the Broun introduction was added to this Houghton Mifflin edition. In 1941 Houghton Mifflin reset Looking Backward and brought out a new edition from which the Broun introduction was omitted. The 1942 ML edition was printed from the 1941 Houghton Mifflin plates -- with the Broun introduction restored. ML printings included the introduction from 1942 until fall 1951. The Beebe introduction was replaced by the newly commissioned Shurter introduction, which was more up-to-date and better suited to the academic market. The Shurter introduction appeared first in the ML College Edition and added to the regular ML edition the next time it was reprinted.