[ModLib] Dust Jacket Date Range Project Begins Again (maybe)

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Jul 2 16:47:36 EDT 2012

Thanks to generous data contributions from Barry Neavill and John
Wolansky, I've started the Dust Jacket Date Range project on a test
basis.

The first test page is Sherwood Anderson http://www.modernlib.com/authors/aAuthors/andersonJackets.html
  with two titles and a total of nine DJs.
As before, a single date without any other qualifying text above a
dust jacket (for example 1923) refers to the printing date of the
specific physical dust jacket that was scanned for the image. It
doesn't imply that the jacket image shown is a first printing dust
jacket, nor that it isn't. First printing DJs are sometimes noted.

Here's the new part: A date range above a dust jacket (for example
1926 - 1929) refers to the starting and ending years it is believed
that DJ was in use: The first date is the earliest reported use, the
second date is the latest reported use.   A question mark in a date
range represents an intelligent though uncertain extrapolation that
begs for confirmation.

Here's your part:

PLEASE LOOK AT YOUR  BOOKS!!!

If you have a dust jacket in that style that falls outside the listed
range, please report it!

REMINDER FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME:  ModernLib is a crowd-sourced
website. Very little of the information came exclusively from my
personal collection. If you don't look at your books and report what
you have, that information never gets correlated and posted.

This too will pass.