[ModLib] Hugo Steiner-Prag -- Illustrator of Rousseau's Confessions???

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Fri Jan 20 17:28:24 EST 2012

I'm sure it is Steiner-Prag. He was a professional illustrator and could work in different styles. And the Rousseau jacket flap states "ILLUSTRATION ON JACKET BY HUGO STEINER-PRAG".  He also did the chapter-head illustrations in the Illustrated Famous Ghost Stories which was published a year after the Rousseau, and they look plausibly like the jacket illustration for Rousseau.  Blumenthal designed most of the typographic jackets that followed the ML's 1939 redesign of the series (he was responsible for that too), and the typography of the Rousseau is clearly in his style.