[ModLib] What does the signature say?

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Mon Jan 16 21:04:09 EST 2012

Scott,

It's Paul Galdone.  I assume this is a balloon cloth printing, since the background of the wood engraved (?) illustration was originally yellowish brown in contrast to the white background in printings from 1945 on (when the text was reset in 503 pages) .  If anyone has a jacket in the larger format from  1939-1944 (488 pages) I'd be interestid to know if the backgroud of the illu stration is yellowish brown or white.

Thanks!