[ModLib] Joe Gould's Secret editions

Bill Hornick willthemad at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 16:42:45 EST 2012

Dear Dave,

Darrell Johnson and I have collaborated on a data base that we call "90s Hardbacks"; it includes editions from 1992 to date in the Regular and Giant sizes and the dozen or so unusual sizes, those wider than standard Regulars and those taller and/or wider than Giants.  It seems to be at least 97% complete and accurate but we are always making new discoveries and correcting fine points, just like Mr. Kamins and collectors do for the classic ML website.

Mr. Johnson has the data base on his computer but he has been experiencing computer and internet access problems.  So, with a certain amount of presumption on my part, I will provide you with the data you seek concerning Joe Gould's Secret.

1. Original Edition (2-1996)
ISBN 0679601848     First edition price: $13.50     Binding style #17, type C endpapers
Style 1 dj: vertical photo of Mitchell on left of dj cover
Dj back: style r (3 quotes)      No title list on dj inverse
Dj print date on back fold: 2-96
Contents: Author bio, no introduction, note on type, glossy frontispiece photo

2. Commemorative Edition (9-1996)
ISBN 0679601848     First edition price: $13.50     Binding style #17, type C endpapers
Style 2 dj: horizontal photo of Mitchell across dj cover
Dj back: style r (3 quotes)     No title list on dj inverse
Dj print date on back fold: 9-96
Contents: Author bio with notation of his death, Maxwell introduction, note on type, glossy frontispiece photo

3. Movie Tie-In Edition (4-2000)
ISBN 0679603395     First edition price: $14.95      Binding style #17, type C endpapers
Style 2 dj: Horizontal movie still across dj cover
Dj back: style r (1 quote plus movie data)     Title list on dj inverse
Dj print date on back fold: 4-00
Contents: Author bio with notation of his death, Maxwell introduction, no note on type, dull frontispiece photo

The above should be the important distinguishing points.  If you print this out and save it, it should serve you well.
I hope that I have provided what you are seeking.  I am always eager to help fellow collectors because so many, especially Mr.Kamins, Mr. Wolansky, Mr. Toledano and Mr. Johnson, helped me when I re-began my collection a few years ago.

With all best wishes,
Bill Hornick