[ModLib] Never Before Seen DJ Tilte!!!

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sun Aug 12 09:40:04 EDT 2012

Cerf and Klopfer made a single printing of Maeterlinck's Miracle of Saint Antony and Five Other Plays in fall 1925. The fall 1925 jacket is similar to B&L jackets and gives the title as A MIRACLE OF SAINT ANTONY.

During 1921-24 Maeterlinck was in the fourth quarter of B&L titles in terms of sales. Cerf and Klopfer listed it in an ad in the New Yorker (February 12, 1926) -- the magazine was not quite one year old at the time -- as one of the four worst-selling ML titles, along with Latzko, Men in War, Marjorie Fleming’s Book, and Ouida, In a Winter City.

The spring 1927 jacket giving the title as PELLEAS AND MELISANDE AND OTHER PLAYS was a last ditch attempt to breath life into the title. They even rewrote the text on the front panel, misspelling (as you can see from the image of Joe's jacket) "furor" and "Saint Antony". The new jacket was used on remaining copies of the 1925 printing. It didn't help a bit, and Maeterlinck was discontinued in 1928.