[ModLib] Strindberg, Miss Julie and Other Plays (ML, Inc.)

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Thu Aug 2 00:51:16 EDT 2012

Does anyone have a ML, Inc. printing of Miss Julie and Other Plays? It was included in ML, Inc. lists through spring 1928 -- before "Miss Julie" was added to Strindberg's Married in spring 1929.

I've seen it in ML, Inc. jackets and bindings -- but the copies I've seen are the final Boni and Liveright printing. When Cerf and Klopfer bought the ML from Horace Liveright, they must have acquired a number of copies of the final B&L printing in sheets. It's possible, if the printing had been made shortly before the ML changed hands, that there were enough copies of the B&L printing to last the two and a half years it was sold with other ML, Inc. titles. I've seen copies in ML, Inc. bindings and jackets with "Modern Library, Inc." rubber stamped over the printed imprint "Boni and Liveright."

I suspect there was never a ML, Inc. printing but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University
106 Kresge Library