[ModLib] Late balloon cloth bindings

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:35:20 EDT 2012

When the ML introduced balloon cloth bindings in spring 1929, a portion of each printing of individual titles was bound in all four colors: red, blue, green and brown. You can collect first printings of early balloon cloth titles in all four colors. Balloon cloth bindings were used through spring 1939; Rockwell Kent's binding was introduced in fall 1939. I'm trying to determine whether the policy of binding portions of each printing in all four colors continued throughout the balloon cloth period.

My first printings of the new titles published in spring 1939 are bound in balloon cloth as follows: Irving Stone, Lust for Life (green); Liddell Hart, War in Outline (brown), Walton, Compleat Angler (green), Dinesen,  Seven Gothic Tales (brown).  Note that first printings of Lust for Life and Seven Gothic Tales are in the larger format that became standard for all new ML titles in fall 1939.

Does anyone have first printings of these titles in other colors?

Thanks!

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University