[ModLib] Faulkner Sanctuary

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:29:52 EDT 2011

Hi Lisa,

The ML dropped several introductions around this time, probably because they thought they were dated. Faulkner's admission in his introduction to the ML edition of Sanctuary (1932) that he had written the book for money damaged his reputation, even though he indicated at the end of the introduction that he had rewritten it at the proof stage, "trying to make out of it something which would not shame The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying too much."  Harvey Breit's introduction to the ML edition of Absalom, Absalom! and Richard H. Rovere's introduction to Light in August were also dropped around 1963. This is when the ML began publishing Faulkner's works in white uniform dust jackets; none of the white jacketed printings have introductions . The  memorandum issuing the instruction to drop the introductions from Sanctuary and Absalom, Absalom!  was dated 14 November 1962 and can be found in the Random House Collection at Columbia University (Box 538, ML spring 1962 folder). When the ML was planning to publish The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying in a single volume it asked Faulkner to write an introduction , but  he never submitted it .  T he ML published the volume with a revised and corrected version of the appendix "Compson 1699-1945" that originally appeared in the Viking Portable Faulkner published earlier in 1946, and put  it at the beginning of the volume.  This was dropped when the ML published the The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying as separate volumes in uniform white jackets in 1966 and 196 7.

Jaillant" <l.jaillant at gmail.com>