[ModLib] Gatsby in Balloon Cloth

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Thu Nov 10 14:30:53 EST 2011

In case you're interested:

Only the blue cloth copy of _The Great Gatsby_ is in jacket--but it is a pleasantly fresh one, though dulled on the spine, and the first state. It has however many books the earlier jacket is supposed to have--I checked it out, once. Bought it with an autographed Shielah Graham _Beloved Infidel_ for $75 or something a few years ago. Rather a bargain, I thought.

The green one is a little frayed but otherwise fresh. The gold is dulled but the print is legible. This too was acquired inexpensively--$2.50--from a bookstore that assumed that since it wasn't a first Scribners _Gatsby_ it should be priced like a paperback.

The cloth of the brown _Gatsby_ is very bright but the text has separated from the binding at the front. The balloon cloth printings did not use supers, as you may know. However, this is quite a special copy, as it is signed by the author for Elizabeth Lemon, the platonic mistress of his editor Maxwell Perkins, and has text corrections in Fitzgerald's hand to the introduction. He was never happy with it.

It is for me a priceless book. I have had a special archival box made for it. The story of its acquisition is quite dramatic, and I may publish it sometime, but I first have to wait until some of the people involved have died.

Greetings to all.

Roger Lathbury