[ModLib] Redux: First DJ for Seven That Were Hanged?

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:38:14 EDT 2011

It's hard to date the " 1918 E arly " jacket from just the front panel. I have a beautiful copy of Seven That Were Hanged in what I believe to be a first printing; the jacket  includes the paragraph about the introduction. The book also includes Seltzer's introduction. The jacket lists titles through  Haeckel (37)  on the flaps, and the book has list C4 facing the title page. It's easy enough to date B&L jackets -- or at least to place them in a chronological sequence -- but you need the full jacket, not just the front panel.

I bought this copy of Seven That Were Hanged  in Chicago many years ago when I was just beginning my Modern Library research. It cost me $5.00. A round the same time I bought a fine copy of the ML Gatsby in a first printing jacket for $35 -- big bucks for a graduate student at that time, and I thought long and hard before buying it.