[ModLib] translations

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 15:26:05 EDT 2011

Lawrence,

Attached are two Excel files.  They come from my Access database: Modern Library Complete (MLComplete V3.0).  The ML Regular Translations List should be straight forward.  And if you are only looking for complete works by authors that were translated from another language to English then the ML Giants Translations List won't be a problem either.  If you were interested in every item that was translated then you will encounter a bit of difficulty with several Giants that were anthologies.  European Philosphy from Descartes to Nietszche, for example, lists the titles of the selections that were translated and the translator's names.  But because I filtered the entire list to Translators there is no indication of who the Author was!  For that, you would need an unfiltered list or a list that filters out, by exclusion, many other items (e.g.'s HEADING: SUBHEADING; COVER BLURB; COVER PAINTING; and on and on...)  in an attempt to get down to only
 Author and Translator.  And I'm sure that Access won't allow enough Filter By Exclusion procedures to eliminate all of them; I've tried it before and I can't get there. [I could send these lists with Author and Translator and as many exclusion as I can get, if that would be helpful.]

Let me know if this was useful .

Darrell

P.S. to all the other ML fans:  If you ever want a list of content items from ML's let me know.  I have 65,000 content entries and if I am at home (which I am not at the moment) I can whip them out about as fast as you could look one over and then request another.