[ModLib] translations

LAWRENCE VENUTI lvenuti at temple.edu
Mon May 2 13:51:11 EDT 2011

I am editing the 20th-century volume in the *Oxford History of Literary
Translation in English*, and my contributions include a section on the
financial aspects of publishing translations during this period. I will need
to cover reprint series like the Modern Library, and I am wondering if
anyone on this list might be able to help me with some basic questions.

The period that interests me most is 1925-1963, when the number of titles in
the series reached 800. What I would like to know is how many of those
titles were translations.

Is there a convenient way to locate this information, as well as some sense
of which translations were included? Does anyone on the list have a figure?

Many thanks for considering these questions.