[ModLib] Do you have any of these?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Mar 28 14:51:37 EDT 2011

Folks,

Bill Hornick's excellent recent contribution of over 50 items to the
Bindings Projects (Confirmed Bindings for Each Title and Confirmed
Bindings for Each Giant Title) got me to pay more attention to these
lists. Looking them over, some notable gaps turned up. I think we can
fill in a lot of these.

Every week for the foreseeable future, I''ll be asking everyone to
spend just 10 minutes or so checking to see if you have any of the
current week's investigation targets in your collection. I want to
keep the focus very concentrated each week so that everyone can find
the time to participate.

This week I want to focus on four very long lived titles -- titles
that began in 1917 and lasted at least until 1970. It's possible that
these four titles -- and as far as I can tell, ONLY these four titles
-- came in all 14 binding styles!

Here are the titles and the missing bindings. Do you have any of these?

Thus Spake Zarathustra -- Nietzsche:    4.5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14

Mayor of Casterbridge -- Hardy:   3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14

Best Russian Short Stories:    3, 4.5, 6, 9, 11, 12

Fathers and Sons -- Turgenev:    5, 9, 10, 11, 13

If you know for sure (and can back it up) that any title/binding style
combo DIDN'T exist, it would be helpful to know that as well. (I'll
add a new notation -- a small red "x" -- to the table in the proper
position.)

And thanks for playing!!!

OH - by the way: Certified Public Accountants who are up to their
abacuses in tax filings are allowed an automatic deferment [:: cough
John Wolansky  cough ::] through the end of April.

It's all sandcastles ...