[ModLib] Homer Iliad with Highet introduction (1950)

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Mon Mar 28 08:31:54 EDT 2011

When the ML added Gilbert Highet's introduction to The Iliad of Homer in 1950, the name of one of the translators was misspelled on the title page (Ernest Meyers instead of Myers). Highet pointed out the error shortly after his introduction was published, but I've never seen a copy of the regular ML edition with the spelling corrected. There's a memo in the archives that indicates that the correction would be made in the ML College Edition. I suspect that the misspelling persisted until 1964, at least in printings of the regular ML, when the Lang-Leaf-Myers translation was replaced by the Ennis Rees translation.

Does anyone have a copy of The Iliad from the 1950s/early 1960s with the Highet introduction and the correct title-page spelling of "Myers"?

Many thanks,

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University