[ModLib] A nuts & bolts Modern Library question

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Sat Mar 12 14:25:03 EST 2011

It's always possible that an older copy could have been misplaced in a warehouse (the publisher's, a wholesaler's, or the department store's)and subsequently sold with later stock.

There should be a ML list at the end of the book which you should be able to date by the titles included and omitted -- see the dating key. That will tell you if the jacket and the copy of the book are from different dates.

I assume the jacket you have is deep yellow; this was superseded by a jacket in the same design but in reddish orange (earliest I've seen is spring 1951), the same design in reddish orange but on coated paper (spring 1954), and finally the pictorial jacket by Giusti (spring 1957).

Hope this helps.

Barry Neavill