[ModLib] A nuts & bolts Modern Library question

Bluebird Books books at bluebirdbooks.com
Sat Mar 12 13:30:25 EST 2011

MLians,

I've got a very average Sister Carrie (Dreiser) in Toledano #8 binding.
The verso of DJ lists 344 titles; which puts publication at c.1949. The
flap bears a sticker from (former) Denver department store, May-D&F;
who, I am quite sure, being a Denverite, never sold used books; only new.

What I wonder is, since May Co. and Daniels and Fisher didn't merge
until about the early 1960s, how is that they came up w/a Modern Library
title published in '49? Did ML publish, then warehouse these books for
that kind of time? Or did they publish this in the '60s and throw and
old jacket on the book? Just curious.

thanks,
Eric Mayer

p.s.: the sticker has the numeral 83 on it...the store was in bus. in
'83 so if that represent the year, it might have even been then that
they sold it...can't tell.

--
We feature high quality hard-to-find, used, and out of print books. Our specialty: 19th&  20th Century classic fiction and literature.

Bluebird Books
8201 South Santa Fe Drive #245
Littleton, Colorado 80120 U.S.A.
Telephone: (303) 912-4559
E-Mail:  books at bluebirdbooks.com
Website: www.bluebirdbooks.com
Proud member of IOBA--The books you want...from booksellers you can trust.