[ModLib] Various questions

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:11:35 EST 2011

1. Breit's introduction to Absalom, Absalom was dropped in 1963.

2. I haven't seen a copy of Metropolitan Opera Guide with Fifth Printing on the verso of the title page and no discography. The ML didn't always update the verso of the t.p. with each printing.

3. There were multiple printings of most Illustrated ML titles, but each title has to be differentiated on its own. And there are some that I'm not certain about at this point. Identifying first printings of the first five titles is easy -- the title page imprint was "Modern Library" not "Ilustrated ML." The two Shakespeares, Don Quixote, Famous Ghost Storeis, and Walden were the only titles that to my knowledge had a single printing.

4. Ibsen's Eleven Plays was reset in the 1940s, but I'm not sure when. The earliest copy I've seen with continuous pagination has a 1948 jacket.

5. Best Russian Short Stories and Andreyev's Seven That Were Hanged & The Red Laugh were combined as one volume in 1934. The text was reset in a single  sequence of pagination in the 1950s. The earliest copy with the reset text that I've seen is spring 1959.

The numbering system of my forthcoming ML bibliography distinguishes major variants such as reset texts, variant title pages, introductions added and dropped, etc., but the sequence is based on the order in which first printing of a given  title was published, not its ML catalog number.   I have seven numbers for Best Russian Short Stories. Most of these are for "families of printings" with a particular feature in common. In this case my bibliography number (the 18th ML title published) and the ML catalog number are the same, since the ML hadn't dropped any titles when Best Russian Short Stories  was added . My "families" of printings are as follows:

    18.1a: First printing (1917)

    18.1b: Preliminaries reordered

   18.1c: Imprint revised ("Inc." dropped from Boni and Liveright)

   18.1d: Title page with monk device

   18.1e: ML title page (1926)

   18.1f: Seven That Were Hanged added (1934)

   18.1g: Title page reset (c. 1940) larger format with stiff covers

   18.2a: Text reset (1950s)

   18.2b: Title page with Fujita torchbearer; 7 ½ inch format (1969/70)

Families numbered 18.1 are printed from the original set of plates; families numbered 18.2 are printed from new plates made from a new typesetting.