[ModLib] Designation for regular binding style variation?

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Fri Jun 24 13:01:55 EDT 2011

Folks,

As I was preparing for a talk about the ML I'm giving on Saturday at a
local book faire, I noticed that the Regular Bindings Style page (http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/bindingsReg/bindingsReg.html
) had no illustration for the Style 5 variation (the grape-leaf spine)
with a blind-stamped logo on the front panel. I added it, and
designated it Style 5*.

The reason I used 5* is that there already is a 5a, evidently only in
use in April 1929. Here are all the dates (which I'd be happy to
correct if necessary) & descriptions:
5a: April 1929 -- Spine: gold text; double lines at spine top; grape
vine image at spine bottom. Front: Kent torchbearer image stamped in
gold
5: April 1929 - May (?) 1930. Spine: gold text; no lines at top; grape
vine image at spine bottom. Front: Kent torchbearer image stamped in
gold
5*: May 1930 - November 1930. Spine: gold text; no lines at top; grape
vine image at spine bottom. Front: blindstamped Kent torchbearer image

The reason I used 5* for the new image is that 5a is earlier than 5
and I thought that 5b for a later style would be confusing. (OK, MORE
confusing.) I can easily be talked into using a different designation.
but we have to decide now before the 5* designation takes hold.

Your comments please?

It's all sandcastles ...