[ModLib] A Farewell to Arms example

Michael Watson archetype at 20ants.com
Wed Jun 22 23:32:57 EDT 2011

You miss nothing, sir. My ponderances (I've now made that a word):

1. Is it worth anything close to this to an ML collector? I think not.
Jacketed I think it's a mid-level book at best as it's not the most
common thing out there.

2. Is it worth anything close to this to a John C. Gardner collector? I
think not. It's not an association copy in any sense of the term.
Suitable to a completeist, as it's a reprint, but not for anything in
the same universe as $450

3. Is it worth anything close to this to a Hemingway collector? I think
not. Again, suitable to a completeist, but I doubt it at $450

In any case I've got great respect for Tom at Between the Covers and
appreciate his experience and methods. If his clientele will support
this pricing then more power to him: with sellers of higher-end material
you pay for expertise and validation of the material.

I'm just interested in commentary from the ML-fixated crowd.

-Michael

On 6/22/2011 9:42 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:
> I must be missing something. (This is a huge fill, by the way!) You
> talking about this one:
>
> HEMINGWAY, Ernest (GARDNER, John
> C.). A Farewell to Arms. New York: Modern
> Library (1929). Reprint. Very good, lacking the
> dustwrapper. Author John C. Gardner's copy with his
> ownership Signature twice, once with his address at
> DePauw University where he was a student. Gardner is
> best known for his novels which include Grendel, Nickel
> Mountain, October Light, and The Sunlight Dialogues. Both
> authors had a significant influence on the literary tastes of
> their respective generations. From a group of books
> purchased from his former wife. Connolly 100.
> #57095
> $450
>

>> From one of the author-specific catalogs offered by Between the
>> Covers. A jacketless Farewell to Arms from another author's library.
>> It's about a quarter of the way down the page in the .pdf. Commentary
>> is invited as usual...
>
> Scot Kamins
> One cause, a thousand effects
> A thousand causes, one effect

  Michael Watson, bookman, Indianapolis IN USA
  archetype at 20ants.com www.20ants.com (317) 514-3829
  Compilations of letters & correspondence; memoirs; diaries
  Fine press, limiteds, literature, and unusual non-fiction
  Traditional courtesies to the trade. Always seeking better books.
  Member IOBA: Independent Online Booksellers Association
  http://www.ioba.org
  Offering a safe, secure bookbuying experience at
  http://www.iobabooks.com/bookstores/ants20.html