[ModLib] ILLUSTRATED BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

jwol jwol at fast.net
Fri Jul 29 17:38:34 EDT 2011

While scanning jackets for Scott's site, I noticed Scott only had a scan of
the black slipcase for Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov.  I pulled my gray
slipcase to scan, checked my inventory, and noted I had an additional
character in the inventory number, a letter, either a or b.  Checking
Toledano, I noted there were two boxed editions of this title, one with a
1943 copyright and the other a 1945 with a note there were illustration
changes.  I appended an a to I151.1 to the 1943 edition and a b to the 1945.

Examining the books I have, I observed the book spine changed from 1943 to
1945.  I attached a scan of the spine.  The black box is on the right (1945)
and the grey box (1943) on the left and the glassine jacketed copy I have
has the 1945 spine.  The book covers are otherwise identical.  I presumed,
perhaps incorrectly, the grey box was unique to the 1943 edition and the
black box to the 1945.  In the event I carelessly mixed the boxes and
books, for those of you that have an illustrated Brothers K in a slipcase,
please extend the courtesy of eMailing me as to the color of the case and
the copyright date.

Paging through the books, I looked for differences in the drawings and was
very surprised to discover the drawings covering two pages had the same
theme,  but were different in the details.  Also surprising, the drawings
were located at different places in the books!  For example, in the 1943
grey boxed edition, between pages 135 and 136 is a two page colored drawing
of a woman entering a room on the left and a man with a sword on the right.
In the 1945 boxed edition, a largely colorless drawing with the same theme
is between pages 192 and 193!  In the 1943 copy, we see the front of the man
and his hat is on a table in the foreground while in the 1945 copy we see
the man's back and his hat is on a table in the background.  In the glassine
covered 1945 copy this picture is between pages 196 and 197 and has more
color than the 1945 copy but less than the 1943 copy.

Another example is a two page color duel scene between pages 360 and 361 in
the 1943 copy but between pages 340 and 341 in the later copy.  Again, the
same theme but differences in detail.  An example is the man in the center
of the picture between the duelists holding a sword.  In the 1943 copy his
feet are separated and the point of the sword is at a the midpoint between
his feet, while in the 1945 copy, his feet are together and the sword points
to his left foot.  In my 1945 glassine, the picture is the same as the 1945
boxed copy, but is between pages 356 and 357.

The issue of placement of pictures at different locations in the books
probably speaks to carelessness in the production process.   The single page
drawings with no color seem to be the same.   Why did the illustrations
change?

I am trying to scan drawings for Scott if you have an interest in these
details, meanwhile, I would appreciate any feedback regarding the color of
the slipcase and copyright date any other collectors may have.

Thanks,

John Wolansky