[ModLib] Illustrated Moby Dick

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 17:19:05 EDT 2011

Don,

The photo posted is the correct jacket for the Modern Library Edition of Moby Dick that was part of the Faux Leather bindings that ran from 1978-1985.  There were two basic jacket styles during this period and this particular jacket did not follow either of the two standard styles.  The binding for Moby Dick is the Toledano G9 binding.  These would normally have jackets with a Stephen Alcorn woodcut illustartion on the cover, but Moby Dick has an enlarged  and apartially colorized version of a Rockwell Kent Illustration from within the book itself.

Darrell