[ModLib] First Tristram Shandy jacket

Scot Kamins kamins at modernlib.com
Wed Jul 27 09:23:23 EDT 2011

I notice that the text on the 1930 DJ is the same as the text on the
one labeled "1928 [2nd]."  That suggests to me that the one labeled
"1928 [1st] with the different text might actually be the first -- why
would ML revert to earlier text pn a DJ?

On Jul 27, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Gordon Barrick Neavill wrote:

> I'm trying to determine which of the first two Tristram Shandy
> jackets reproduced on the website is the earlest. Both are indicated
> as 1928.
>
> I've seen the second jacket -- the one with the relatively short
> text on the front panel -- with a spring 1928 list inside the jacket
> (includes Dumas, Three Musketeers but not Apuleius, Golden Ass).
>
> I haven't examined the first jacket, which has more extensive text
> beginning "Although the first part of ..."  If anyone has this, I'd
> appreciate knowing whether the ML list inside the jacket is from
> spring 1928 or fall 1928 (includes Apuleius, Golden Ass but not
> Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov). It's possible that both jackets
> date from spring 1928. While you're at it, let me know if the book
> has a 4-page ML list at the end of the volume -- some copies of the
> first printing have it, some don't.
>
> I've seen the later uniform typographic jacket for Tristram Shandy
> (dated on the website as 1930) with a spring 1929 list.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Barry
> --
> Gordon B. Neavill
> Associate Professor
> Wayne State University
> 106 Kresge Library
> Detroit, MI 48202
> 313-577-0507; 313-577-7563 (fax)

No, I can't do this all on my own.
I know, I'm no superman -- theme song from Scrubs