[ModLib] First Tristram Shandy jacket

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Wed Jul 27 09:12:55 EDT 2011

I'm trying to determine which of the first two Tristram Shandy jackets reproduced on the website is the earlest. Both are indicated as 1928.

I've seen the second jacket -- the one with the relatively short text on the front panel -- with a spring 1928 list inside the jacket (includes Dumas, Three Musketeers but not Apuleius, Golden Ass).

I haven't examined the first jacket, which has more extensive text beginning "Although the first part of ..."  If anyone has this, I'd appreciate knowing whether the ML list inside the jacket is from spring 1928 or fall 1928 (includes Apuleius, Golden Ass but not Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov). It's possible that both jackets date from spring 1928. While you're at it, let me know if the book has a 4-page ML list at the end of the volume -- some copies of the first printing have it, some don't.

I've seen the later uniform typographic jacket for Tristram Shandy (dated on the website as 1930) with a spring 1929 list.

Many thanks,

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Wayne State University