[ModLib] Dubliners "defintive text" 1969

Roger Lathbury lathbury at gmu.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:43:19 EST 2011

Dear Terry:

How wonderful. I know the collection at Buffalo is terrific. They bought (as did the Rosenbach collection) a copy of my facsimile, now in its second printing.

It reminds me of seeing Scott Fitzgerald's pocket flask and birefcase at the Thomas Cooper Library in South Carolina. Is this stick the thin one in the backlit picture taken on rue de l'Odéon in the doorway? (Maybe Gisèle Freund was the photographer?)

I don't have any giving away copies of the facsimile. It's a bread and butter backlist item for me--Amazon orders a few every week (five yesterday). I get $75 for them too. Had to buy a first edition to use for making the book.

When the facsimile came out, the first buyer was a NYC law firm--four copies. I thought I was going to be sued (and I would have won) by Andrew Wylie, the agent (dubbed "The Jackal"), but I wasn't.

A friend who publishes on Joyce has had numerous run-ins with Mr. Extremely Rebarbative. He tape recorded a conversation, really a rant and monologue some 50 minutes long SJJ treated him to from Ile St. Louis. Curiously enough, the man has an American accent, doubtless from his American college education.

He likes to speak French if he thinks one can't understand it. Foutez-moi la paix, espèce d'idiot. He demanded my friend give him $750 for reprinting a public domain story, "A Little Cloud." Cóilín was willing to pay, too, to keep peace and to prepare the way for other favors, which would have been denied probably, but Joyce never pressed the matter. I think he just likes being a prick. (As in thorn, of course.)

Cheers.

R.