[ModLib] Joyce, Dubliners "defintive text" 1969

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Tue Feb 15 09:56:40 EST 2011

Roger,

Thanks very much for your information! This is very helpful and suggests that the 7 1/4" format may have published before the 7 1/2", though the ISBN on a late 7 1/4" jacket indicates that the last one or two printings were in this format as well. The titles listed on the back panel of the jacket are the same throughout all printings of the 1969 corrected text.

Could you let me know whether your copy as the colored endpaper with Fujita's "ml" pattern or a plain endpaper?

I suspect that Viking withdrew Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man the ML edition so that the Compass paperback could have the market to itself. The Compass edition was published in August 1956 and the ML edition was discontinued that fall (Viking would have allowed the ML to sell out its last printing). I still have the copy of the Compass paperback (14th printing Dec. 1960) that I read as a freshman in college. The corrected text of Portrait of an Artist was published no later than 1965.