[ModLib] Allen Ginsberg and Modern Library

Gordon Barrick Neavill neavill at wayne.edu
Tue Feb 15 08:58:40 EST 2011

This reminds me of the famous photo of Marilyn Monroe in her home library with lots of ML books on the shelves.

I don't know that Ginsberg ever wrote about the ML, but he mentions Liveright in his poem "To Aunt Rose". Ginsburg's father was a poet whose his first two books were published by Liveright. The relevant lines are:

welcoming my father, the Poet, on his visit to Newark

--  see you arriving in the living room

dancing on your crippled leg

and clapping hands his book

had been accepted by Liveright

Hitler is dead and Liveright's gone out of business

The Attic of the Past and Everlasting Minute are out of print

My copy of the poem is in Penguin Modern Poets 5 : Corso, Ferlinghetti, Ginsburg